Constipation and causes of constipation
Being constipated means your bowel movements are tough or happen less often than normal. Almost everyone goes through it at some point. Constipation a condition in which there is difficulty in emptying the bowels, usually associated with hardened faeces. Being constipated means your bowel movements are tough or happen less often than normal .
It’s not that serious, However It can cause quite a lot of disturbance and make you feel uneasy.
There is no normal length of time between bowel movements and it varies from person to person. Some people can have it three times a day and others can have it as rarely as a few times a week.
Although going three or more days without one is considered long. After 3 days the poop gets harder and is a lot difficult to pass. Read below to know the causes of constipation.
Symptoms of Constipation
You can get a clue that you suffer from constipation if you have any of these:
- Less Bowel movements
- Hard or small stools
- Trouble having a bowel movement (straining to go)
- A sense that there is still more to come out
- Bloating in the belly
You also may feel like you need help to empty your bowels, such as pressing on your belly .
Causes of Constipation
Since we have covered the symptoms of constipation, Now let’s look into some causes of constipation. Some causes of constipation include:
- Your activities and a change in diet plan
- Less water or fibre content in diet
- Eating a lot of dairy
- Being lethargic
- Resisting the urge to poop
- Laxative abuse
- Some medications (especially strong pain drugs such as narcotics, antidepressants, and iron pills or antacid medicines containing calcium or aluminum
- Eating disorders that also lad to weight gain.
- Irritable bowel syndrome
- Nerve and Muscle problems in the digestive system
- Colon cancer
- Neurological conditions such as Parkinson’s disease or multiple sclerosis
- Hypothyroidism (Underactive thyroid)
We hope the causes of constipation are now clear to you. Click here to know more about the causes of weight gain.
What Should I Do If I Am suffering from Constipation ?
Now you know what are the causes of constipation. Take these steps to ease yourself:
- Drink more water. Have four to five more glasses than usual. Unless your doctor has prescribe you against it.
- Take warm liquids, especially in the morning
- Add fruits and veggies to your diet. Take as much roughage and fiber as possible.
- Include exercise in your daily regimen as your intestines work out when you do
- Never ignore the urge to poop.
- Try a laxative. Be sure to consult your doctor before trying
Prevention for Constipation
You now know the causes of constipation now let’s understand how to prevent constipation. Keep the following things in mind
- Eat a well balanced diet with lots of fiber. Some sources can be fruits, vegetables, legumes and whole grain bread
- Drink lots of water. Consider having four to five more glasses than you normally take.
- Try avoiding caffeine. It can be dehydrating
- Include exercise in your regimen. Do something for 30 minutes a day atleast.
- Go to the bathroom when you feel the urge.
- Cut back on Milk. It can constipate some people
There are some other causes of constipation as well. Even some foods cause constipation. Read our article here to know about them and avoid them as much as possible.
We hope you find the article useful and are now clear on what is constipation, Symptoms , prevention and causes of constipation. Feel free to share the article to help share the above information with your friends.